As a leading provider of trust services, Autenti always puts the trust and security of its customers first. To continually raise security standards, we have implemented the option of Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). In this article, we'll take a look at what MFA is, how it works and why it's so important.
Table of contents:
1. What is multi-factor authentication (MFA)?
2. How do I enable MFA on the Autenti platform?
3. Authentication methods on the Autenti platform
4. Passwordless? With Autenti, it's possible
5. Why is multi-factor authentication so important?
What is multi-factor authentication (MFA)?
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is an advanced process of verifying the identity of users to ensure greater security of access to accounts, applications or online resources. As part of this process, you must provide at least two independent forms of your identity from three main categories:
- Knowledge (something the user knows) - for example, password, PIN code or answers to security questions.
- Possession (something that the user has) - it can be a token, a smart card or a mobile device that receives one-time authorisation codes.
- Biometrics (something the user is) - this includes solutions based on unique physical characteristics, such as fingerprints, facial recognition or iris scan.
Unlike single-factor authentication (e.g., using only a password), MFA requires multiple proofs of identity, making it much harder for attackers to gain unauthorised access. Even if one factor is compromised, the others make it more difficult for an account to be hacked.
MFA is not only more effective, but also a more flexible solution that allows the level of security to be tailored to the specific needs of the organisation. This enables companies to ensure a high standard of data protection and compliance with privacy laws and industry standards.
How do I enable MFA on the Autenti platform?
To activate multi-factor authentication on your Autenti account, go to Settings and select the "Security" tab from the list.
- In the first step, at least one additional authentication method must be added: the Autenti mobile app or an authentication application (e.g., Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator).
- If an authentication app is selected, it will need to be paired with the Autenti platform, this can be done by scanning the QR code or using the configuration code.
- After scanning the QR code, the user will be asked to enter the code displayed in the app.
- After entering the code and adding the application, we can use the slider bar to enable multi-component authentication. Done.
Points to remember
- You can use up to two authorisation options at the same time.
- You can choose the order of authentication methods, the order in the list is preserved during the login process.
- Backup codes allow you to restore access to your account if you cannot log in using selected methods (e.g., if you lose your phone). You can regain access to your account using codes. That is why it is so important to generate them and keep them in a safe place. You can also do this from the security tab in the settings:
- You can completely opt out of logging in with a password, as described later in the text.
Authentication methods on the Autenti platform
On the Autenti platform, you can currently use the following authorisation methods in the login process:
- Authentication application (e.g., Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator)
- Autenti mobile application
Passwordless? With Autenti, it's possible
The growing trend of eliminating passwords from the authentication process, or so-called "passwordless" logins, is also worth noting.
Combined with MFA, this approach can further simplify and secure access to accounts. Passwordless relies on the use of other authentication methods that eliminate the risks associated with the strength and management of passwords.
This is an innovative solution that, in the future, may become standard for many systems, further increasing the level of security in the digital world.
Autenti customers can already use the advanced passwordless solution. With the introduction of passwordless access, our users can enjoy even greater convenience and security when using the company's services.
To use the passwordless option in your Autenti account, you will need to set the password to third in the list of active methods or remove it from the list altogether.
Why is multi-factor authentication so important?
Trust and security in cyberspace are key, and MFA is one of the most effective mechanisms for securing accounts against hacker attacks. The benefits of implementing MFA include:
- Increased security: MFA makes it difficult for unauthorised people to take over an account, even if the password is compromised.
- Protection against various types of attacks such as phishing, brute force or keyloggers.
- Greater control over access to company resources, which reduces the risk of data leakage.
- Compliance with regulations and security standards such as GDPR and ISO 27001.
We hope we have convinced you of the value of using multi-factor authentication.
Enabling this option in the system is a simple way to significantly strengthen the protection of your accounts against cyber threats. Rely on MFA - don't hesitate, and stay safe!